Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Orientation. What's there to worry about?

I'm sitting here in my hotel room the day before move-in at St. Mike's and admittedly, I'm a bit nervous. Only 16 short hours from now, I'll be unloading all of my stuff with the help of a small army or RA's and Orientation Leaders. So why be nervous?

It's only natural to feel slightly apprehensive prior to starting college. It is a new lifestyle, free of the constrictive lifestyle set by parents and high school. So moving on to the college life, where you are expected to set your owns rules, can be daunting at times. How then, if this fear of the unknown is a universal experience for all incoming freshman, should you deal with it?

Most importantly, don't be afraid to put yourself out there. I'm usually a pretty talkative and outgoing guy, but have been known in the past to clam up and withdraw when encountering new people and new situations. Every bit of advice I have heard leading up to tomorrow is that you absolutely should NOT shut yourself off from others. Everyone else will be in the same boat as you. We are all going to be nervous and desperate to find new friends and establish a comfort zone. but first, join activities, be outspoken in your Orientation Group, and everything will be golden.

If all else fails, just take a deep breath and push yourself through the day. As I look back and read my own advice for tomorrow, I still can't help but feel that familiar stomach knotting. All I can hope, same with all of you, is that Orientation and these first few days of getting used to college life will be as awesome as St. Mike's is known to be!

Good luck everyone,
-Nate

No comments:

Post a Comment